October 13, 2023
Milk is a nutrient-rich liquid food produced by the mammary glands of mammals. It is the primary source of nutrition for young mammals (including breastfed human infants) before they can digest solid food. Early-lactation milk, which is called colostrum, contains antibodies that strengthen the immune system, and thus reduce the risk of many diseases.
Based on TCM, cow’s milk can be used to:
- supplement qi, yin, and blood
- supplement lung, stomach, and heart;
- create body fluids
- moistens intestine and ski
The preparation methods of cow’s milk are raw, boiled, and porridge.
Cow’s milk is rich in protein, minerals and vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, and C.
Some indications that cow’s milk can reduce are:
* General qi and blood vacuity: weakness, mental exhaustion, dizziness, overexertion.
* Stomach yin vacuity: dry mouth and throat, lack of appe
September 29, 2023
Sardines ("pilchards") are nutrient-rich, small, oily fish widely consumed by humans and as forage fish by larger fish species, seabirds, and marine mammals.
Based on TCM, sardines can be used to:
- supplements qi, yang, and blood
- warms stomach and spleen
- supplements kidneys
The preparation methods of sardines are deep-fried, fried, grilled, or boiled.
Sardines contain protein, fat, minerals, and are a source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Some indications that can be reduced by sardines are:
* Stomach and spleen vacuity: lack of appetite, lack of strength, indigestion, edema.
* Kidney network vacuity: impotence, decreased libido, back pain and weakness, sinew, and bone weakness.
September 15, 2023
Most eels live in the shallow waters of the ocean and burrow into sand, mud, or amongst rocks. A majority of eel species are nocturnal and, thus are rarely seen. Sometimes, they are seen living together in holes, or "eel pits". Some species of eels also live in deeper water on the continental shelves and over slopes as deep as 4,000 m (13,000 ft). Only members of the Anguilla regularly inhabit fresh water, but they, too, return to the sea to breed.
Based on TCM, eel can be used to:
- supplements qi and yang
- regulates wind and dampness
The preparation methods of eel are fried, boiled, or in soup.
Eel contains protein, high-fat content, calcium, and phosphorus.
Some indications that can be reduced by eel are:
* Qi and yang vacuity: weakness, exhaustion, shortness of breath.
* Wind and dampness disorders: pain and swelling in extremities, weakness in legs and hips (rheumatic complaints caused by
August 30, 2023
Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world. Owing to the relative ease and low cost of raising chickens—compared to mammals such as cattle or hogs—chicken meat (commonly called just "chicken") and chicken eggs have become prevalent in numerous cuisines.
Some indications that can be reduced by chicken based on TCM are:
* Qi vacuity: pale face, fatigue, quiet voice, sweating during the day, lack of strength, easily exhausted.
* Blood vacuity (generally associated with qi vacuity): dull, pale complexion; difficulty concentrating, numbness, muscle weakness, heart palpitations, amenorrhea (lack of menstruation) or hypomenorrhea (scant menstruation), general weakness, emotional instability, and depression.
* Qi and blood vacuity following childbirth: lack of strength, postnatal depression, heart palpitations, dizziness, and lack of milk flow after giving birth.
* Stomach qi and
August 15, 2023
Lamb, hogget, and mutton, generically sheep meat, are the meat of domestic sheep, Ovis aries. A sheep in its first year is a lamb and its meat is also lamb. The meat from sheep in their second year is hogget. Older sheep meat is mutton. Generally, "hogget" and "sheep meat" are not used by consumers outside Norway, New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia. Hogget is becoming increasingly commonly eaten in England, particularly in the North (Lancashire and Yorkshire) often in association with rare breed and organic farming.
Based on TCM, lamb, mutton or sheep can be used to:
- warms center burner and kidney network
- supplements qi and blood.
The preparation methods are steamed, fried/roasted, grilled, and boiled.
Lamb, mutton, and sheep contain protein, fat, calcium, and phosphorus.
Some indications that can be reduced are:
* Lamb is especially recommended during the cold months as a warming food, served well